OVERVIEW ON CHIEF’S CAMP IN OKAVANGO DELTA
Chief’s Camp is located in the Mombo Concession on Chief’s Island. Part of the world-renowned Moremi Game Reserve, the area is known as the “predator capital of Africa” and is also home to large herds of elephant and buffalo as well as over 500 bird species. The decked lounge, pool, dining area and atmospheric fire pit all overlook expansive floodplains so that guests can continue game viewing in camp. The twelve guest pavilions are nestled in a jackalberry and sausage tree woodland that is characteristic of the area. All have both an indoor and outdoor shower, as well as a private viewing deck overlooking the surrounding floodplains of the Okavango Delta. Sumptuous four poster beds and traditional ceiling fans also feature. The island was named after Chief Moremi, the hereditary king of the area who used the lands as his royal hunting grounds. The vast number of animals who congregate here make it easy to understand why the area was put aside for the chief. It was Moremi’s people, the Tawana, who turned it into a reserve where animals are protected.
Location Of Chief’s Camp
Chief’s Camp is located in the Mombo Concession of the Moremi Game Reserve. This region is known as the “predator capital” of Africa and is the perfect setting for game viewing. Chief’s Camp has its own private airstrip which is located approximately 10 minutes from the camp. Chief’s Camp is accessible by air from Maun (25 minutes), Kasane (1 hour 30 minutes) and all other delta camps.
Safari Experience At Chief’s Camp
The game viewing opportunities at Chief’s Camp are simply awe-inspiring. Our expert guides are always on hand to share a wealth of wildlife knowledge, taking guests deep into the bush on morning and afternoon game drives. On the plains, watch the roaming lions that prey on the thousands of antelope, zebra and buffalo who live here all year round. Spot leopard, hyena and cheetah, perhaps even the rare wild dog. Apart from its predators, the area is renowned for its large concentrations of plains-game, elephant and buffalo. Both white and black rhino were introduced into the Mombo Concession in 2001 and 2003.
Activities At Chief’s Camp
Enjoy thrilling guided game drives lead by highly qualified professional guides in customized open 4 x 4 game viewing vehicles. Game drives are conducted early morning and late afternoon. Explore the area up close at the gentle pace of a poled mokoro, a dug-out canoe excursion (subject to delta water levels).
Summary For Chief’s Camp
- Chief’s Camp is located on Chief’s Island in the exclusive Mombo Concession, part of the Moremi Game Reserve
- Access is by air from Maun (25 minutes), Kasane (1 hour 30 minutes) and all other Delta camps
- Transfer time is approximately 10 minutes from Chief’s Airstrip, the camp’s own registered private airstrip
- Twelve luxury bush pavilions with en suite bathroom with both indoor and outdoor shower, spacious seating area and private game viewing deck
- Mini bar, hairdryer, ceiling fans and mosquito nets available in all suites
- Breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner are included in your stay
- Breakfast is served before the morning game activity. Lunch can be enjoyed back at the camp
- Afternoon tea is served before the afternoon game activity
- Afternoon game drives finish with classic sundowner cocktails and canapés at specially selected spots, before returning to the camp for pre-dinner drinks around the boma area (fire pit) and a three course dinner
- Romantic private dinners on suite decking or by pool can be arranged upon request
- The camp offers morning and afternoon game drives in customized vehicles
- Mokoro excursions offer the perfect way to see the surrounding wildlife from a different perspective
- Scenic helicopter flights over the Okavango Delta can be arranged (additional cost)
- Range of spa treatments available in treatment room (additional cost)
- Children under 9 years are not permitted at Sanctuary Chief’s Camp.